This morning I looked down at my dog and thought to myself, “We rescued you from eminent death at that shelter. Man, I am such a good person.”
This short little dialogue set off a chain reaction in my brain. I felt pretty amazing about being an advocate for the forgotten animals and wondered if there were other little reminders around me that could help me feel validated as a good person. After much thought and consideration, here are twenty reasons I decided I am a good person today.
More than likely, you are a good person too. Give yourself a pat on the back.
- I don’t intentionally shame my children on facebook.
- I haven’t tried to hit anyone with my car.
- I share my food every time there is a food drive.
- I kiss my husband every day.
- I hold doors open for people.
- I give kids (mine and other people’s) rides every day.
- I try to focus when other people are talking.
- I share my feelings.
- I try to compliment everyone.
- I say please and thank-you.
- I don’t pick my nose and eat it.
- I like my friends’ Facebook statuses and often also comment.
- I frequent local businesses and gratefully spend the money my husband makes.
- I laugh at people’s jokes.
- I am a regular patron at the local library.
- I admit my weaknesses.
- I try not to enable people.
- When other people are stupid, I try really hard to remember that I am often stupid too.
- I eat fruits and vegetables.
- I don’t live at the local bar.
If you have a problem with any of these things, I really really really hope it’s not 11 or 20, but even if you pick your nose and eat it while living at the local bar, I bet you are still a good person in at least 17 other ways. If you never leave the bar I can only give you 17 out of 20 because you probably aren’t very good at opening doors for people. The good news, however, is that you get extra credit for number 13 – frequenting local businesses.
Congratulations on being a good person. I am so glad that I know you.
Can you think of any other simple reasons why you are a good person?
Please do share.
By the end of the day,
we will all be feeling like this world can’t possibly survive without us.
The world needs all of us good people more then it wants to admit.
Positivity: pass it on. It will change the way you see everything.